Art Curriculum Intent and Aims
Here at Newland School for Girls in Art, craft and design, we embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. We deliver a high-quality art and design education that engages, inspires and challenges our students. This equips them with the knowledge and skills to experiment invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As they progress and grow in their confidence and abilities; they are able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. The students know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to our school, culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Our SEN intent is that effective teaching and learning will make sure that the entire Art curriculum is available to all students through careful structuring of activities, scaffolding of skills and personalised teaching.
Art at Newland School for Girls—Students are be taught to develop their creativity and ideas, and increase proficiency in their execution. They do this by developing a critical understanding of artists, architects and designers, expressing reasoned judgements that can inform their own work.
- Produce creative work; explore ideas and record personal experiences.
- Develop knowledge, understanding and skills relevant to their chosen title through integrated
practical, critical and contextual study that encourages direct engagement with original works and practice.
- Learn through practical experience and demonstrate knowledge and understanding of sources that inform their creative intentions.
- Apply relevant subject-specific skills in order to use visual language to communicate personal
ideas, meanings and responses.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Develop confidence and resilience that are needed to succeed in the wider world.
- Use a range of techniques to record observations in sketchbooks, journals and other media as a basis for exploring personal ideas
- Understand about the history of art, craft, design and architecture, including periods, styles and major movements from ancient times up to the present day.
“A picture is a poem without words” Horace
“Creativity takes courage” Henry Matisse