KS4 Option in Textiles
Here at Newland School for Girls in Textiles, we embody genuine creativity. We deliver a high-quality Textiles and Fashion design education that engages, inspires and challenges our students. This equips them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own textiles products. As they progress and grow in their confidence and abilities; they are able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of textiles and fashion design. The students know how art and design and the vast textiles industry both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to our school, culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Students are taught to develop their creativity and ideas, and increase proficiency in their execution. They do this by developing a critical understanding of artists and designers, expressing reasoned judgements that can inform their own work. They learn to use the sewing machines proficiently to enhance their outcomes as well as a range of decorative and construction techniques.
- Produce creative work; explore ideas and record personal experiences.
- Develop knowledge, understanding and skills relevant to their chosen title through integrated practical, critical and contextual study that encourages direct engagement with original works and practice.
- Learn through practical experience and demonstrate knowledge and understanding of sources that inform their creative intentions.
- Apply relevant subject-specific skills in order to use visual language to communicate personal ideas, meanings and responses.
- Know about great artists, textiles and fashion designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Develop confidence and resilience that are needed to succeed in the wider world.
- Use a range of techniques to record observations in sketchbooks, sampling and other media as a basis for exploring personal ideas.
- Understand about the history of art, textiles and fashion, including periods, styles and major movements from ancient times up to the present day which influence all designers.