The Newland Flyers programme is designed to raise aspirations and enrich the experiences of our most able pupils. Pupils from all year groups are selected for the programme based on ability and there are a range of specific activities and development opportunities planned for each year group.
Some of the core aspects of the programmes include:
- Enrichment activities including opportunities such as;
- Elite subject based competitions such as the Rotary club debate competition, Royal Society of Chemistry Top of the Bench and Junior Mathletes
- Subject specific college master classes
- University visits and Aiming for Oxbridge events
- University of Law criminal case study workshops
- Medicine Discovery workshops
In order to ensure that students master and hone their own subject knowledge a student leadership role of Peer tutor has been created for Newland Flyers. Students will be paired up with another Flyer from a different year group to engage in Peer tutoring sessions on Thursday afterschool From Half term 3 onwards.