Within SMSC, Newland School for Girls is developing the British Values of
- Rule of Law
- Mutual Respect
- Individual Liberty
Developing British Values is about pupils understanding:
- The foundations of British Democracy
- Tolerance and respect
- Law and order within British Society
- The importance of having the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.
- Awareness of the democratic process which exists in British Society
Newland pupils who are becoming more aware of British Values are likely to be developing some of the following characteristics:
- Having due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others:
- A growing willingness to tolerate difficult situations
- The ability to respect the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with.
- Leadership which allows everyone to have ‘a voice’.
Teaching of British Values at Newland School will be encouraged in all areas of the curriculum. British Values are becoming an explicit and integral thread in all subjects. Directorates encourage opportunities for the development of British Values across the School, and details of provision in each subject area can be found in individual SMSC sections of Directorate planning.